Friday, March 13, 2015

You might be an Ag Teacher if.....

The following pictures are a sample representative of what a week is like for an agriculture educator...
 






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So as you perused the pictures I am sure you noticed some things that wouldn't be considered part of teaching. Well if no one has informed you I will, being an agriculture teaching is not like being any other teacher. When the kids pick out there classes and elect to take agriculture they aren't just taking a class they are getting an entire program. Yes, they will be in an agriculture class that educates them on agriculture, pretty standard. What isn't always realized is they have the FFA and SAE (supervised agricultural experience) to extend their learning outside of the classroom! The program is designed to get students out of the classroom to learn and be tested in ways other than with just pen and paper.
 
This week for my blog I am choosing to focus on the fun part of being an agriculture teacher. Sure we make lesson plans and develop new curriculum. Then we hatch our own peeps so the students can see and experience what they just learned in class. We grade tests, quizzes and paper. Then we go to CDEs (career development events) and the kids get to judge live animals and receive a score based on how well they did. We teach for about 42 minutes,  7 periods a day, 5 days a week. Then we take a bus of kids to tractor pulls after school, weekend leadership conferences, evening CDE contests, and we get up way before school starts to practice parliamentary procedure.
 
Why do we do all of this "stuff"? The most important reason is the kids are learning, constantly. Even if it's a life skill and not necessarily agriculturally related, the students benefit from everything that is done. The other reason is for fun. Schools are becoming more digital and more centered on standardized testing. Although it can provide some advancements, sometimes a paper and pencil test isn't the best way to truly see what the student knows. I believe it's more beneficial to stomp around in a dusty pen judging 4 dairy cows than to watch them on the TV. I believe it's more beneficial to take the time and make our own playdoh, dye it (and our hands), and create brain sculptures rather than just having the notes and a quiz the next day.
 
My final comment about my week. I was talking to my 7th graders about agricultural careers this week. The bell work on the first day was what is the difference between a career and a job. A career is a lifelong pursuit, not just something you do for money. The bell work on the second day was to list and describe the career you want to have. I wrote everybody's career on the board and I was so proud of each and every one of them. I looked at these 7th grade kids that want to make the world a better place. I tried to elaborate on how each of those were wonderful careers and how it's something they should strive for during the rest of their life. I told them to take a minute and remember this moment and what they want to do. I told them to not let anything get in the way. As they went to work on their projects I welled up a little thinking about how awesome all of the students here are. Looking back now I may have gotten a little too deep with the class but they seem to take it well.
 
After that class was over and I was sitting in the room reflecting on the day and a little light bulb went off in my brain. This is what I am supposed to do. Sure, you would think I might have realized that after about 4 years worth of college and making it this far. However, I wasn't ever sure until that day this week. I have the ability to get up at 4:30 every morning, be the first one at school and the last one to leave. I get tired just like anyone else but I have never worked so hard for something quite like this. I haven't ever pushed myself this much because I wanted something. I push myself because this is my lifelong pursuit. I don't have a definite goal in this pursuit because I realize it will never end. I will never reach a point where I'm like "well I have enough experience and knowledge I don't need to keep trying." It will always be there driving me to get better. I learned a lot about my students this week and a lot about myself. Thank you for reading!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing engaging activities and the students are learning! Keep doing good things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete