Friday, November 21, 2014

Motivation Restored


 Displaying IMG_6610.jpg

Early this week I had the opportunity to do a micro-teaching experience at East Juniata High School. Myself and 2 fellow member of my cohort went to teach one class each day. I taught an Introduction to Agriculture class of mostly freshman. I did a mini-unit on horses; the first day being breeds and coat colors, the second being horse tack and the last being types of riding. Each lesson was filled with activities like pin the part on the saddle.

Micro-teaching was a lot of work. I spend so much time preparing the lessons before we went to the school. After I taught the first day I didn't cover all of the material so I had to adapt my lessons which took even more time. One concern I have is teaching multiple classes and preparing lessons for each.

Now with all of the negative out of the way, I absolutely loved it. The time I spent teaching the students or guiding them while they learned was amazing. I loved when they asked me questions and I could clarify for them. The questions showed me that they wanted to learn the information and it got me excited to teach them.

Displaying IMG_6611.jpg

I think the way I displayed the information was really great and the activities paired well with it. However, I planned too much for time I had. Time really flew once we started the lesson. For the last day of my teaching I wanted the students to create a large poster that had different types of riding on them. Each group was given 1 article with all the information they needed on it. Unfortunately, most of the groups didn't finish their poster so I wasn't able to grade them.

All in all it was a really great experience that has resparked my motivation for teaching. I can't wait to get back in a classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment