Monday, December 15, 2014

First Day of School

During my semester I had a chance to do a test run of my first day of classes. For this test run we had to have our classroom expectations, procedures and consequences laid out. I found it rather difficult to find expectations, procedures and consequences that were broad enough to cover an array of areas, but specific enough to implement in everyday classes.

I started with my classroom expectations. These were a set of standards that I would hold every student accountable to for their actions. I thought of some of the most important qualities in  a person that I look at in my life. There very first one I came up with was acceptance. I want my students to be accepting of one another. Just because you accept something doesn't mean you condone it. Next I had respectful. I felt as though this one word would encompass many behaviors towards myself and other classmates. Lastly, I decided on professionalism. I want students to realize that although they have down time thought out the day and they are around their friends often that school is like their job. They should conduct themselves in a professional way, just as they would at their job. I welcome laughter and love to joke around but there should be a limitation. I changed the words around a little and came up with RAP.
Next was the procedures which I struggled to come up with. I came up with 3 lists before deciding on this one and I also looked up what other teachers were using. I knew that I wanted students to be online and not be wondering around. That's why everyday I will have a bell work for them to do so they come right into class and begin that while I take attendance and set the room up. Then the learning would occur and an ending activity would be in place. For example, I might have students write something on a post-it for their "ticket out" and have them post it around the room. It will be something I use to reflect on what happened in the class that day. Lastly, I wanted to ensure there was something fun and everyone left the class feeling good. Therefore, I implemented the fist-bump rule.
Lastly, to keep my procedures and expectations regulated I have my consequences. I used some of the consequences I've seen teachers use and I researched some. I think that prevention is by far the best option but there has to be consequences for the simple stability they provide. I do put a little note at the bottom that says "these may change depending on severity." I will explain to my students that if their behavior is so irate that it is necessary, I do reserves the right to give them detention right away or send them straight to the office.
 
Teaching these in lab went well. I got some positive feed back on how I was able to be polite yet stern when it came to rules. I obviously want students to look forward to coming to class but they will understand that they are responsible for their actions and will be held accountable. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment