Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Beef, Turkeys, and Bunnies. Oh My!

My very first SAE visit! As I pulled up the driveway for my first SAE visit with a student I was extremely nervous. I had a visit with Brooke Emery who is a senior at my cooperating center. She has had long standing SAE record books on a variety of animals. She really enjoys showing her multitude of animals, and so does her brother. She has plans to go to college in the Philadelphia area. She hopes to one day become a coordinator for an elderly home focusing on different kinesthetic activities. My visit was conducted on March 2nd.

Brooke's family owns a small, but very busy farm. They have a large variety of animals mostly because of showing. Their beautiful home is tucked back off from the main road on a little hill. To prepare for the visit I printed out different SAE materials with information and a worksheet for her to fill out. The worksheet asked about what her SAE was, what her goals were for her SAE, and what her goals were for her personally in the next couple of years of her life. I really enjoyed talking to her about her future and how much she's been doing with her animals.

Brooke's current SAE is on her market lambs. She also shows beef cattle, rabbits and pigs. It was extremely evident that her whole family cares very much about all of the animals they have. It was really wonderful getting to meet and talk with her whole family. Brooke works with her market lambs really often to get them show ready. She is very passionate about her market lambs and all other animals she shows. Even though the day was a bit dreary, it was great to see her lamb and how she works with her. Thanks for reading!








No comments:

Post a Comment