Monday, April 27, 2015

Saying Goodbye.


"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

-John Michael Montgomery

     The quote above is from a popular country song that was released the year before I was born. I grew up singing to it but never thought it would be one of the few things in my life that still hold true from way back then. The older I get the more I realize how much I don't know. I keep thinking I have it all figured out and then all of the sudden it hits me that I'm not even close.
     I decided when I was in high school that I wanted to be an agriculture teacher. I was one of those kids that was in the ag room every free minute I had. Mrs. Sparks was a wonderful teacher, and I wanted to be just like her. She encouraged me to become an agriculture teacher but warned me it was hard work. That hadn't stopped me before so I kept going.  My options were to go to Penn State or Delaware Valley, but when I visited PSU I knew it was the place for me. Before long I had 2 years of college under my belt and was packing up to come to State College where the real fun began. Dr. Ewing, Dr. Foster and Mrs. Rice were my three greatest influences at Penn State. I am still amazed at how much they do every day to prepare teacher candidates to be teachers. Each one puts so much time into help the student teachers and soon to be student teachers that it's amazing. This brings me to the Fall 2014 semester. I had been told that semester in particular would be difficult, that may have been an understatement. That semester was the hardest time of my entire life and I am glad I made it through, but I didn't make it easy on myself. However, I know I had to go though it because it began to change my perspective immensely. It wasn't just my knowledge of how to be a teacher that grew, it was my perspective of life. Finally, on this journey we arrive at the whole reason for this blog post, student teaching.

 
     After making it though the Fall semester I had decided I wasn't going to be a teacher. I was going to make it through student teaching, try to learn and have fun but there was a huge disconnect for me. I call it the storm before the calm. When I arrived at Juniata Valley I was like a fawn that didn't know how to walk and I was nervous, a lot. I began teaching a 7th and 8th grade rotational class and an animal science class that had mainly seniors. I was not a great teacher by any standards but after about two weeks I began to feel comfortable with daily routines. I realized was getting better at managing a class and adding in different questions to prompt students. I then became a little braver and would throw out an e-moment. Some worked wonderfully and others made the students stare at me funny but it was okay because tomorrow was a new day. My influence at Juniata Valley was Mrs. Russell. She amazed me at how easily she could control a class, get along with students and still manage to respond to the hundreds of emails she got in one day.






     The thing I struggled internally with was how some students acted and their lack of motivation. I was able to get along with most of them but some students made it very difficult. I know just look at it as a learning experience. Everything can't be wonderful all of the time. Motivating students who are difficult is something I hope to constantly work towards in my teaching career. I really enjoyed my time a Juniata Valley and I realize now that I want to be a teacher. I had a moment about half way through student teaching where it hit me that this is what I am supposed to do. Yeah, it was hard but I truly love teaching and look forward to what the future brings. It was really hard to leave on Friday. I had to say goodbye to many students and staff, and Mrs. Russell. All of which I have grown so close with, I really felt like a part of the school even for that short time. There are so many experiences and people I will never forget.









No comments:

Post a Comment