Friday, April 17, 2015

Finally in the shop!

With my second to last week wrapping up we are finally getting in the shop! This is an exciting time for the students and myself as well! Today also happens to be our banquet. Center piece making, present wrapping and certificate printing is in full swing. It still amazes me how one teacher could get all of this done and still teach!

Something I have noticed about my teaching is that I need to do better at setting up for my classes. Since we've started in the shop I have one class working on small gas engines and another doing welding, soldering and cutting. I had done some prep work to get the shop ready, but I didn't do enough. Most of the students who started with soldering had never done it before so I spend a long time giving a demonstration to them. I had to spend a good bit of time in class just getting materials ready. The way to combat this will be for me to think through exactly how the class is going to go and what they will need.

I think the students were impressed with how much I could help them with the engines. There were quite a bit of students who knew a lot about engines from previous experiences,  but still needed some assistance. I was originally worried about how well I knew the engines and whether I would be able to answer their questions or not. It turned out really well and I feel much more confident about my abilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment